92 (Chorley) Squadron Air cadets
History of RAF 92 Squadron
Motto : Aut pugna aut morere - " either fight or die"
Badge : A cobra entwining a sprig of maple leaf . the maple leaf signifies the Squadrons association as a Canadian unit in world war one whilst the cobra represents the fact that No. 92 was one of the East India gift squadrons in world war two.
No. 92 Squadron was formed at London Colney on the 1st September 1917 as a fighter unit and moved to France in July 1918. It was engaged in fighter and ground attack duties over the western front for the rest of the war and disbanded on August 7th 1919.
On October 10th 1939, No. 92 reformed at Tangmere and received Blenheims. In March 1940, these were replaced by spitfires which became operational on May 9th and flew patrols over France during May and June before being sent to South Wales for defensive duties.
In September it was transferred to No. 11 group for the final phase of the Battle of Britain beginning offensive operations at the end of the year. Moving to Lincolnshire in October 1941 No 92 left for the Middle East in February 1942, but lack of aircraft delegated the squadron to maintenance duties.
In August spitfire arrived and were used for fighter sweeps and bomber escort missions before No. 92 moved to Tunisia and the on to Malta in June 1943. After moving in to captured airfields in Sicily the Squadron moved on to Italy in September 1943, where it became a fighter bomber unit in July 1944 for the rest of the war. The squadron disbanded in Austria on December 30th 1946.
On January 31st 1947, No. 91 Squadron at Acklington was renumbered 92 Squadron and flew meteors as a part of fighter defence of the UK until converting to Sabres in February 1954. these were replaced by Hunters in April 1956 which in turn gave way to Lightnings in April 1963. At the end of 1968, No. 92 Squadron moved to Germany and in January 1977 conversion to phantoms began, the squadron disbanded on 31st March 1977. On April 1st 1977 , the phantoms element at Wildenrath became No. 92 Squadron until the Squadron disbanded again on July 1st 1991. On September 23rd 1992 151 (reserve) Squadron of 7 Flying Training School was renumbered No. 92 (reserve) squadron at Chivenor flying Hawks. These aircraft were flown until the squadron was disbanded on October 1st 1994.
Blue diamonds display team
Having moved into RAF Leconfield, the Squadron took over the role of the RAF Aerobatic Display Team from 'treble one', 92's team was named "Blue Diamonds" due to the very recognisable blue colour of their Hunters, they were a familiar sight to the locals as they practiced flight locally. Following on from the success of the Blue Diamonds display team 92 Squadron's Phantom and Hawk are seen to have the distinctive blue diamond colour scheme.
92 Squadron at Wildenrath in 1977